Saturday 19 May 2012

'A Way of Life Like Any Other' by Darcy O'Brien


The acclaimed social documentary 'Seven Up', directed by Michael Apted, has returned to our screens for a 3 episode update on the 14 'children' that were chosen back in 1964, 7 from working class backgrounds and 7 from 'well to do' upbringings. They have now reached the dizzy heights of 56 up and having grown up watching them grow up {I'm 9 years younger} I was intrigued to find out how they were doing. I guess, as many people do, I see them as torch bearers showing me what might be up ahead. I have to say the first episode on Monday left me with a feeling of hope and comfort. They all appeared to have reached a point where they knew and accepted themselves more. Even the troubled Neil had found a purpose in life and seemed, dare I say it, 'happier' in his own skin. It must be difficult to open your front door to the nation every 7 years and talk candidly about the ups and downs of your life, but I am grateful that they continue to do so as it is a fascinating piece of modern social history. 


Talking of soul bearing, I found an interesting post on one of my favourite blogs, Creature Comforts, called 'Things I am afraid to tell you'. Quite a number of bloggers have participated in this and it was just great to hear their honesty and confessions that they too have problems and hang ups etc. Although their blogging lives look picture perfect, they are human like the rest of us. RELIEF!



M.M.W

No comments:

Post a Comment