Tuesday 29 May 2012

The craic was mighty !


When I was about two I lived with my mum and her family while my dad went looking for work in Canada, with a view to us immigrating there.I stayed in the bungalow where my mum grew up,in the seaside village of Blackrock -not the posh one outside Dublin where all the rock stars live,the one in Louth,the smallest county in Ireland! Anyway,I went on to spend all my childhood summers there. Staying with my amazing grandparents, Mamma and Pop, in the bungalow whose back garden lead down to the sea.It was such a magical time for me and I always dreaded going back to inner city Manchester[we didn't move to Canada ,not enough work and too much snow]after the six weeks summer break.Blackrock was where I could roam freely with the local kids ,it's where I had my first drink,my first cigarette,my first boyfriend-it holds a big piece of my heart and I was lucky enough to be there last week end.
There's a store in the village called Danny Hughes and it's been there since I can remember ,selling buckets and spades ,toys,  anything you can think of really.A couple of years ago RTE radio made a programme about Danny and his son Connor which I think is a beautiful and funny story magically told about the relationship between a father and son.It's worth a listen ,you can google it-RTE Radio Danny and Connor Hughes.


Here's a song about Dundalk ,the main town a couple of miles away from the 'Rock'.My mum's friend wrote it years ago and I can remember her playing the 7"single and us dancing around the sitting room when I was little-she must have been homesick! It's Cheesy but I love it!  


               M.M.W

No comments:

Post a Comment