Monday 2 July 2012

Those were the days my friends




Ever since BBC4 showed the documentary 'Quadrophenia...... Can You See The Real Me '..... about the making of The Who's album and followed it with a showing of the actual movie last week , I've been reminiscing about my youth . From the age of thirteen I was a Mod and obsessed about the 60's . it's music  fashion , movies , I was hooked ! My Bible was Richard Barnes book ' Mods! ' which I studied religiously . When Quadrophenia came out in the cinemas in 79 I remember going to see it with my best friend Fitz - a fellow Modette . We were two 14 year old convent girls sneeking in to see an 18 cert movie which was being double billed with ' Scum ' that particular day ,we couldn't believe our luck ! It's no secret that I started dating Mr Doubleu 29 years ago because he got himself a Lambretta , I thought I'd died and gone to heaven on the back of that thing- fickle me ! I'm sorry but I'm going to indulge myself a whole lot more and run a couple of video clips ;






                         This scene cracks me up !


 
  Anyway , the day after my Mod fix I happened to come across one of those somewhat annoying Top Of The Pops oldies but goodies shows . I was waiting for Wimbledon to come on but thought I'd hang in there as it was showing tunes from 69 . Most were dire but they did dish this one up . Don't laugh , but back in the day I really wanted to be that girl in the song with the glamourous life who'd come from the back streets of Naples . I myself came from the back streets of Rusholme , Manchester, but I was well classy smoking my Gauloises cigerettes , or so I thought !



   O.K. Humour me one last time . In 1974 there was a song out by Terry Jacks called ' Seasons in the Sun ' and as a little girl the lyrics used to make me sad , but in a good way because I really liked the song !? I'm not going to show you that one but here's the original version 'Le Moribond '[which means the dying man] written by Belgian singer/songwriter Jacques Brel .

C'est Magnifique  non ?


             Well Pop Pickers that's all till next time ,


                          A Bientot !

                                                   mmw

No comments:

Post a Comment